Saturday, June 02, 2007

A Sister In Need

As you know, the Foundation has been committed to helping those with kidney disease and kidney related illnesses for more than 30 years. A year ago this month, we took that mission to a new level of commitment through our sponsorship of the NKF Transplant Games. We heard from sisters all over the world about how the Foundation and our philanthropic work has affected them personally.

Just recently, we received this letter from a sister which is another reminder of the reach of kidney disease.

To the Sisters of Phi Sigma Sigma,

I joined Phi Sigma Sigma in the spring of my freshman year for many reasons, reasons I am certain I share with others: to become involved on campus, to join an amazing group of women, to find a family away from home.

I also was intrigued when I learned that we donated money to the National Kidney Foundation because this cause is very close to my heart. A while back my mom was diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease, a progressive illness, at the time she was okay, and she was okay for years.

Years later this disease has decreased her kidney function so much that her health has been compromised. She was told by her doctor to look for a kidney donor. Our family was willing to help her, myself included, but we could not change our genetics and being that our blood types did not match we would have to look outside the family, perhaps even outside the people we knew and find a generous stranger to donate...

I am writing this in hopes that someone can help my mom, a sister I never met that is a sister nonetheless. My mom is O blood type, and if you are too, please consider helping my mom.

LITP

Laura
flygirllaura@yahoo.com


If you or someone you know can help Laura’s mom, please be in touch with Laura. Remember too, that there are millions of people out there with a story very similar to Laura's. To learn more about kidney disease, visit our Web site at http://www.phisigmasigmafoundation.org/gifts-of-hope.htm.

No comments: