Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mother at the Games: 'Grateful for every moment I'm alive'

From Erin Halye (Gamma Sigma - Virginia Commonwealth University), collegiate volunteer at the Games and loyal Phi Sig sister:

I want to tell you the story of a woman I met from Team Tennessee. She found out she needed a liver transplant right after her son celebrated his first birthday. Finally she was fortunate enough to locate a donor and receive a transplant. ... Nineteen years later, she proudly told me that her son is flourishing at Columbia University. "I never thought I would get to see him go to college," she told me.  She was grateful for every moment that she has been able to experience with her family and friends as a result of the gift of life she received.

She thanked me for all the support that the Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation offers. It was so amazing to talk to her about her story and realize that the small act of volunteering at these games were so important to the people here. I really felt that we are was making a difference here!"

No comments: