Sunday, August 01, 2010

To Carrie, it's not about winning: It's about being here to celebrate life!

By Shannon Walsh
Collegiate Volunteer
Iota Zeta - University of Minnesota-Duluth    

The 2010 Transplant Games in Madison have been my first eye-opening experience to the world of organ donors and recipients. When I joined a sorority, I expected new friendships and to participate in philanthropic events - but never in a million years did I expect what I’ve experienced thus far through Phi Sigma Sigma. The bonds, the sisterhood and the opportunities available within Phi Sig are completely indescribable.

Today I had my first experience with a transplant recipient. Carrie ran a 5K Saturday morning, and later competed in the 60-69 age bracket of the women's 500 freestyle swimming event. I was the counter for Carrie’s swim. While waiting for her heat, we talked about why Phi Sigma Sigma is at the Games and then about her past experiences. Carrie - the proud mother of one daughter - told me she received a kidney transplant six years ago and is doing very well. She has been practicing and training for the events in her third trip to the Games for the past few months. She told me it isn’t about winning.... It’s about showing that she can do it.

Carrie successfully completed her race in the time she was expecting. When I went to congratulate her at dinner, she told me that she could hear me encouraging her at each turn. It really helped her and gave her the confidence to press on. The look of complete gratitude on her face was truly touching. I am honored to have touched the life of one athlete here! The continuous thank yous and the smiles from everyone here have been extremely inspirational. The 2010 Transplant Games will be something I will not soon forget, and I am honored to have been a part of this wonderful experience.

No comments: