Sunday, August 01, 2010

There was no mistaking who the Phi Sigs were at this year's Games ... just another reason to be PROUD!

IT'S NOT OFTEN WE EXPERIENCE THOSE MOMENTS IN TIME - those epiphanies - that make us realize our lives are not difficult...  not compared to some in this world. This weekend, the Phi Sigs, and in particular me, experienced another one of those life-changing moments when we realized how lucky we have it!

The Transplant Games provided the backdrop for one story after another about how a donor family was there in support of an athlete competing in the Games. Or a story about how, after the loss of a family member, someone has changed careers to do "something" with their lives - bringing clarity to why they are on this earth. I heard countless stories as I visited the many booths at the Transplant Expo - sometimes so heart-wrenching, you couldn't help but cry along with the people who told them.

The other thing I heard was: "WOW, who are you? What is Phi Sigma Sigma, and why are you here?" Just tonight, I heard someone say what a presence we had... that we were EVERYWHERE this weekend. And, it's true! Every time you turned around, there were Phi Sig collegians volunteering, handing out pins, explaining why we support the Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation and what we do in support of the Games. And, in a split second, conversations turned from heart-wrenching to heart-warming.

That is what the Games are all about. People have accepted their loss but have embraced a new way of life. No grieving at this event but, rather, a celebration of life. This is my third Games visit, and it will not be my last! For me, it is an opportunity to get in touch with what is important in this world and to try and make it a better place. I am so very proud of all of our Phi Sig collegians and alumnae volunteers who joined me in that effort this weekend. It makes me very proud to call each of you sister.

Job well done, ladies... a job well done!

Pamela Downey
Phi Sigma Sigma Grand Archon & Foundation Director

No comments: