Sunday, August 01, 2010

My first Opening Ceremonies: Words can't express...

From Marianne Cohen
Delta Beta - University of Rochester

I don't even know where to start! As the newest Foundation Director, long-time international volunteer, and a first-time Games attendee, I can't believe I haven't attended these before now!

This has been such a tremendous experience. At the opening ceremonies this evening, I saw the athletes walk in, followed by the living donors, followed by the donor families (those whose loved ones had passed away and yet "live on" in transplant recipients like the Games athletes who received their gifts of life). With each group, I become even more and more emotional!

With the last group, I pictured my family and thought about what I would do if I were in that situation. What a hard, but incredibly brave decision they had to make.

The keynote speakers talked about the 20-YEAR history of the Transplant Games. How cool is that - they started with a couple hundred athletes and, this year, there are over 2,000!

Listening to Larry Hagman (yes, of "I Dream of Jeannie" and "Dallas" fame) talk about "recyling your body parts" to help others, I thought: What a concept! They talked about "Miracles and Memories," and that hit me. It's such an interesting idea: Everyone here is part of a miracle, and we all created awesome memories! In fact, they had the oldest athlete (85) and the youngest athlete (2) recite the Athlete's Oath to demonstrate that young and old alike benefit from the gift of life (well, the 2-year-old didn't really say it - but she was adorable).

The closing part of the evening featured a woman whose infant son passed away some years ago. She and her husband donated his heart to another baby, whose story they had been following online for 9 months following the transplant surgery.... And, today, they met for the first time! During the ceremony, both families were sitting right in front of us. To top it off, the mom sang a phenomenal version of "For Good" from Wicked ("because I knew you"), and there was not a dry eye in the house.

After being here, I don't think I can ever think about quitting ANYTHING. While the athletes and donor families were walking in (a 20-minute process), my arms started hurting from clapping.... But when I thought about stopping, I said to myself, "How can I stop clapping for these people who have been through so much?"

I am inspired and full of hope that the work I am doing with the Foundation is really helping those in need. Our sponsorship of the Transplant Games is so extraordinary! I am proud to be a Director on the Phi Sigma Sigma Foundation Board and, more than ever, a Phi Sigma Sigma.

No comments: