Wednesday, August 04, 2010

More reunions, more Games, more Phi Sig love for athletes and this incredible experience!

By Missy Spishak
Transplant Games Coordinator
Zeta Kappa - University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown


Missy with Junior Whopper
(front left) and friends
Here's a continuation of my adventures at the Games: Later Sunday night, Phi Sigs headed to 3-on-3 basketball. This is definitely a favorite event for all! There were even more reunions for me at this event, as I was FINALLY able to track down my buddy Junior Whopper from Team Philadelphia. I first met Michael Snyder - who declared to all that he was "Junior Whopper" in Pittsburgh - and I have not forgotten how incredible he was. Michael received his mom's kidney when he was nearly 2, and then after having complications and his body rejecting the kidney, he received a second kidney at age 6. Today, he is doing great and has definitely become a serious little basketball player at the age of 9!

This year, I got to meet his big brother Steve and his dad. This family is just full of life, and they love watching Michael compete in the Games. The family told me Michael has his own website, so if you would like to read his full story you can go to www.caringbridge.org/visit/michaelsnyder.  I got to take my picture with Michael and his teammate Louie (his mom says they're two peas in a pod), as well as Kayla who is also on Team Philly (the boys call her the "assistant coach") and big brother Steve. Good luck to Junior Whopper in the basketball finals!

Jon Hochstein (center) and his Phi Sig fans,
including Gretchen Ehle (far right) a team member
who donated her kidney to her father
As the night was wrapping up, I was able to finally sit down with the Hochstein family and Gretchen Ehle to cheer on the Nation's Capital team in basketball. Jon Hochstein was awesome on the courts! Nation's Capital won and gets to move on the the final rounds. Good luck!

Everywhere I went at these events I heard over and over how thankful people were that the Phi Sigma Sigma women were there supporting the athletes and making memories with the families. It was such an incredible feeling knowing we make such an impression and that they look forward to seeing us at the Games.

I met so many wonderful people! I can't list them all, but every single one of them has now earned a special place in my life: from the tiny Junior Whopper to Jose Zaragoza and his family to members of Team Pittsburgh whom I met and discovered we were co-workers at one point! I have come home with so many stories and new connections that I will never lose. This is exactly why I volunteer at these Games!

I traveled to the wonderful state of Wisconsin not for the cheese curds (which a few can attest that I ate ALOT of cheese curds), but for the athletes and the families and the celebration of life and giving. This event has changed my life in so many ways, and I am looking forward to finding more ways to keep the spirit of the Games alive in me. Just telling my stories to a friend today has made her decide to check the box to donate her organs. I will donate my organs, will you?

No comments: