Monday, July 14, 2008

'I've never seen kids like these...' -- Missy's b-ball experience

From Missy S. after returning home from the games, driving 5 hours and ending up with a 101-degree fever!

I just woke up from a much needed nap, and I am missing the games and the athletes already. So I decided to try to finish talking about the events from yesterday and today. I need to make a few comments about 3-on-3 basketball last night because I met some of my favorite athletes there.

Bball
I was lucky enough to have Liz Rodriguez helping me score for the youth games -- and Liz, I have to tell you I had a blast! It was so awesome hanging out with you and getting to know you!!

Liz and I were able to watch Teams Philly, Indiana, Florida and Mississippi play. Now this was the 14-and-under group, and these games started around 6:30 p.m. and were not over til way past 10:30. I was exhausted from a 15-hour day of volunteering, but watching these little athletes with so much energy and drive keep playing 'til they were exhausted was beyond words.

I have to shout out to a few of these powerhouses. I mentioned Junior Whopper in an earlier blog. Junior Whopper was a little guy named Michael, but he had such a huge personality. His mother told me that he just received a second kidney on Labor Day and without this second kidney he would not be here with us today. My eyes welled with tears as I looked at him and knew how special this little boy was.

Then there was Mary Katherine, Garrett and Payton from Team Mississippi. These kids were the only three on the team which meant they never got to sub out and take a break. They also played three 20-minute games in a row. I have never seen 3 kids with more love for life and drive than these three. Go Team Mississippi!!

Then, Team Florida. I fell in love with Gabriel, Heather, Reese and Trevor. These kids were so awesome on the courts and each one of their stories was just incredible. I have a pic of me with some of these kids, and one with Liz with them so I hope you get to see them. (Editor's note: They are posted elsewhere in the blog.) Thanks for making our night so fun!!!

The NKF staff volunteers also thanked us profusely for the work we did that night at the basketball games. Not only are the athletes thanking us for being here, but the staff also has told me they are so appreciative that we are here to help them and make things run smoothly for the athletes. It is a wonderful feeling to know we are making a difference in a lot of lives.

I am going to go lie down and debate whether I can find the energy to go to work tomorrow. I am sad the games are over, but cannot wait til the 2010 games to see how much my little basketball players have grown. 'Night all!

No comments: