Monday, July 14, 2008

'I hope I can teach people what I learned...'

Hi everyone! This is Tricia from Epsilon Zeta (Bloomsburg). I am writing from Bloomsburg right now, after an exhausting but amazing weekend in Pittsburgh. Not only was I have to meet tons of sisters who I have never gotten the opportunity to meet before this weekend, but I was also able to reconnect with sisters who I have met at other Phi Sig events. Aside from Phi Sigs, I was able to meet possibly the most inspirational people I have ever come across in my life: the athletes, living donors, and donor families at the 2008 Transplant Games.

When Ashley, Erika and I first arrived in Pittsburgh, after a 5-hour drive from Philadelphia, I had NO idea what to expect. When I first walked into the Expo at the Convention Center, I was truly blown away by the number of people who were there. After about 10 minutes of getting situated, Nash took Ashley and I under her wing and "taught" us all about trading pins (which Ashley and I took full advantage of and met tons of amazing people from all over).

Saturday, Ashley and I were able to meet some more amazing people at Swimming. Shout out to Team Arizona, Team Iowa, Team Philadelphia, and Team North Carolina. Athletes from these teams truly touched my heart, ranging from a man who had 2 heart transplants to twins who both had lung transplants, and who all won medals in their respective events.

Opening ceremonies was the most amazing part of my weekend and possibly my life. Words cannot describe what I felt seeing all of the athletes, living donors and donor families walk into the convention center, some with radiant smiles and others with tears of joy. A young boy sang Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying," in which he dedicated to his dad, I turned to Ashley and simply said, "That song will never be the same to me again!"

These weekend has definitely changed my life forever. I am sure everyone else there can say the same thing. In the car ride home, Ashley and I talked a little about how this weekend has made us seriously consider becoming living donors. After this weekend, I know how important it is for people to be educated in organ donation, and I hope I can help teach people about it somewhat.

My only regret for this weekend is that I wasn't able to stay longer! I hope to be able to make it to the games in 2010 as an alumnae, and hopefully then, more Epsilon Zetas will be able to attend!!

LITP, Tricia (EZ)

PS: GOOD LUCK SHARON HILL FROM EZ!! (I wish we could have been able to meet you!!)

No comments: