Sunday, July 13, 2008

"Team Ehle" checking in

Good Sunday evening from Pittsburgh. My goodness, this weekend has been such a rewarding experience for me and my family. We have been awaiting this weekend for two years, when Phi Sigma Sigma was volunteering at the games in Louisville and my dad and I were preparing for our transplant surgery. (Nash even sent me a "transplant bear" from the games that helped me get through recovery!)

These games have really touched me in several different ways. Seeing so many Phi Sigma Sigma sisters cheering on the athletes and making connections with the donor families showed the true generosity and altruistic spirit of Phi Sigma Sigma and the Foundation. I've made connections with so many people this weekend, as did my entire family. We shared stories with donor families who were so happy to connect with recipients, other donor families and supporters. I got a huge hug from a Tennessee man who was "19 at heart" and 68 in body, and I was welcomed into the family of a bowler-recipient from Alaska.

Sharing this experience with all my families -- my biological family, my Phi Sig family and now my transplant family -- has been a phenomenal learning and bonding experience. I've made so many new connections this weekend and I can't wait to come back, and participate in 2 years!

All my love to our Phi Sigma Sigma Family,


Gretchen Ehle

No comments: