Sunday, July 20, 2008

My 'Transplant Games moment' came AFTER the event...

From Candace Hogan, Foundation VP and volunteer at the Games, dictated as she returned home from a business trip.

Here's a story that I think illustrates how the Games can affect you in ways you never expected or thought possible:

Immediately after the Games, I had to attend a conference for work, meeting people in my company whom I usually only work with remotely. One of the people I bumped into is the IT guy who helps me by phone several times a year.... Nice guy, and I just happened to mention how I'd spent my weekend in Pittsburgh.

Well, much to my surprise, his eyes starting tearing up. He said, "You know my 25-year-old son was killed in an accident two years ago?" He'd been a promising young law student in San Diego, and his death devastated the family. Just before the accident, his son had explained to his parents that he intended to be a donor. He was very specific about his wishes. ... And after his untimely, tragic passing, "We donated everything we could," his father said. But it had not been an easy decision.... I spent a few minutes explaining what I'd witnessed at the Games and how people were living normal, healthy and good lives because of the selfless giving of families like his.

The next day, when I was walking through the corporate office and saying good-bye, I visited the IT guy's office. I complimented pictures of his family and his son, and just as I got to the doorway, he stopped me and said that he'd told his wife about what we'd discussed the day before, and what a comfort my stories of the Games were to both of them. They felt they'd made the right decision.

For me, THIS was my "Games moment" - the one that struck home about the importance of the work we do. I suspect there will be many post-Games moments for sisters who volunteered and, perhaps, for those who are reading this blog!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing story Candace!! I teared up reading it. Funny enough I came home and was telling my Grandmother what I had been doing over the weekend and she told me my Great Uncle was a donor. My Great Aunt and his daughters did not know about the games but now that they do I hope they attend the games in Wisconsin!! Organ Donation really does touch alot of people.