Saturday, July 12, 2008

Getting ready to cheer on the swimmers - and glad to be here!

FROM: Missy Spishak, Zeta Kappa ’01, Community Archon 3

We made it!! I drove out to Pittsburgh with Lisa Romero and had so much fun chatting with her in the car. She definitely made it more enjoyable driving the 5 hours across the state. Even with some traffic jams I remained cool and calm as I had Lisa to keep me company!! Thanks Lisa!

We are on day 2 here at the Expo and I can’t explain how amazing it is to be here. We are meeting families with incredible stories, including a young girl who received an organ transplant from her mother. Her mother had tears in her eyes as she told us that her daughter wouldn’t be here without the transplant. The emotions are just overwhelming.

Not only is it fun meeting the athletes, but (as you're no doubt hearing from others) there is a huge competition going on to collect pins. Every team has its state pin and you get to trade the Phi Sigma Sigma transplant game pins for theirs. It is definitely fun and I’m pretty sure I’m winning at the moment!! It’s a great way to meet everyone and live in the spirit of these games.
I have to also say I’m loving hanging out with our sisters who I do not get to see on a regular basis. I get to go to the swimming competition next with Wendy Lau, and it's so great being able to catch up with her again. Oh! And let me add that I have already been in the car twice lost in Pittsburgh. Last night Katie H. had us driving around some hills while we listened to "Cleetus," her GPS "guy," tell us how to get back to the hotel, and today Michelle Dominiak gave us a fun siteseeing tour of Pittsburgh while we attempted to get to the Expo. Thanks, girls, for getting us where we need to be safe and sound and making it fun in the process.

OK, I am going to meet some more athletes and donors now and get ready to go cheer on the swimmers!! More later. Good Luck Team Pittsburgh and Team Philadelphia!!!

No comments: