Monday, July 14, 2008

Everyone's reading our blog - not just Phi Sig!

Computer guy better

Submitted by a bleary-eyed, but happy, Missy S.:

So this morning I woke up first of all the roommates, as I have done the past few days, to take my shower and get ready for the last day of events. I went out to the cafe in the hotel to grab my first cup of coffee and wake myself up since I only had 4 hours of sleep.

As I was walking back to our room, I looked into the computer room of the hotel and noticed a gentleman on the computer. I saw on the screen he was reading the Phi Sig blog!!! I was so excited to see an athlete reading it, I ran back to the room, grabbed my camera (trying not to wake the still sleeping Tara and Michele) and ran back to the computer room. I introduced myself and asked this gentleman if I could take a pic of him reading our blog, as I was sure Lisa and Katie would love to see that. He said absolutely, and then proceeded to explain he was told by one of our sisters his pic may make our blog. Sure enough I helped him find it. He is the buff athlete showing his guns with Caryn Jacquish.

Jack, Team Arkansas, introduced himself to me and told me his story. He had received a heart transplant over a year ago. What's more, his father also had a heart transplant and his uncle had needed one but did not receive one in time. I was touched by this man's outlook on life and how he embraced the energy and emotions of the games. He told me how he strives to make anyone he speaks to knowledgeable about organ donation and how grateful he is that we are here to spread the same message.

As a side note, Jack told me that he had brought a digital camera with him, but not knowing that regular batteries may not last long in the camera, he was not able to take many pictures. He was so happy to find our blog to see some of the events, and he is planning on sharing this with the hospital where he received his transplant. If anyone from the hospital or Jack is out there reading this, then here's a "hello" from the early morning Phi Sig, and I promise to send some pics to your daughter!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girls thanks for all you did at the games you guy's were great,every time you turned around you ran into a PHI SIG girl (phi sig's takin over)All of you became part of us and I love you for it as you well know the happy tears have been flowing all week and they still are as I write this.You guy's have been at the top of my list when I talk to my people at Baptist Health in Little Rock about the games without them and God I wouldn't be writing this right now.God bless everyone in PHI SIG for all the great work, you guy's were awesome pat yourself on the back you earned it!! Once again thanks from the bottom of my NEW heart. JACK CHESSER......jlchesser@hotmail.com