Friday, July 11, 2008

IE's first night at the Games- Pirates, people and more!

Hello to all my awesome sisters!!! This is Barb Hall from Iota Epsilon.

Once again, I and three of my sisters traveled from Kokomo, Indiana, to share in this experience with our sisters, and the inspirational athletes and their families who have traveled from their home states to not only compete, but also to celebrate.

I volunteered for the 2006 Games as a collegian, and I instantly fell in love. I was not expecting the feeling that came over me while being there. I met so many people and listened to so many personal stories, all of which were interesting and kept me thinking of them still to this day. I knew that I had to do it again.

Now, I am an alumna, and I am doing exactly what I knew I would be doing two years ago. As I write this, I am making a promise to myself that I will return in 2010.

Being here has allowed me to see how much hard work everyone does to make an event like this possible. It’s a great experience for me, too, because I recently began volunteering on an international level with Phi Sigma Sigma and will be serving on our Convention and Special Events Task Force! I know I can learn a lot here on a number of levels.

Today has been a very exciting day. We started our adventure at the Games Expo. As we walked around the floor meeting athletes and their families, we did something that everyone here loves to do, especially me… we traded PINS!!! To me, trading pins allows us to be able to get to know the people who all of my sisters have had a hand in helping.

The athletes and their families thanked us profusely for sponsoring the Games and for being there to support them. Many of them remembered us from Louisville and told us stories about the different ways we made their experience at the Games special.

View from stadium
After the Games Expo, we walked to PNC Park to watch the Pirates vs. the Cardinals baseball game. We had so much fun together. We ate the classic baseball food, sang the classic baseball song, and shared in the classic Phi Sig sisterhood.

I wish you all could be here and, hopefully by reading these blogs, you will feel like you are here with us sharing in this wonderful experience.

Thank you to all my sisters who worked so hard to make this experience possible – not only from me but also all the athletes and families.

Barb Hall
Iota Epsilon, Kokomo

No comments: